Houzz

Today's Ideabooks
Browse Bedroom Products on Houzz- For Example:

Monday, October 1, 2007

I'll Say it Again- I Love Canopy Beds


We all have our weaknesses, for some it is chocolate, for others it is fashion, for me it is canopy beds. I think very few things will create the drama and sense of presence that a canopy bed will. The one in the image above I did in a beach house, and I have always wanted to find a use for that Clarence House Seaside Toile, here, accented with persimmon it's the perfect choice. The good thing about doing a bed like this is that when you are done, the statement is made. You can see in the background, that on the windows, I just used a split bamboo shade, there was no competing with this bed.
This kind of thing is actually pretty easy to do on your own as well, just be warned though it takes lots and lots of fabric, and you may never leave your bedroom again. There are some great tips on About.com that will walk you through the process. But here are some tips from me to keep in mind:
  • Try to find a strong color for the inside lining of the bed, it will make it feel even cosier.
  • If you want something that is lighter and more exotic feeling, try making the bed out of a sheer fabric, it will be sheer and sexy.
  • Don't be afraid of pattern, the bed is already making a big statement, now is no time to be meek.
  • One of the beauties of a bed like this, is that it creates a room within a room, so don't be afraid of putting your bed in the middle of your room, it could be an amazing effect.

5 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

Oh I do too! Love them! And I like the example you've shown here- gorgeous!!!!

Mark Cutler said...

Quite a complement from you Peak of Chic!

Things That Inspire said...

I have a picture of a headboard that I tore out of a magazine many years ago, and this is the fabric on the headboard! I had long wondered who made that fabric.

Mark Cutler said...

inspire-I love how things come around 360 like that!

Anonymous said...

Yeah canopy beds are great! They have great presence in a bedroom. Nice example in the picture as well - the colours are lovely.