Houzz

Today's Ideabooks
Browse Bedroom Products on Houzz- For Example:

Monday, May 7, 2007

Answer Day: Bathroom Makeover


I am always being asked "what can I do with my Room X if I don't want to do a major remodel?". Usually this question is about a Kitchen or a bathroom, where people for any number of reasons do not want to start tearing out fixtures and rebuilding cabinets. So here are some thoughts on simple things that you can do to your bathroom in a weekend, that will give it a whole new lease on life.


  • First thing, Paint! A fresh coat of paint can make all the difference, and be daring, it's just a bathroom, you are only going to spend a few minutes a day in here, make it something that is going to inspire you. I personally like strong color in a bathroom, like chocolate (I think that it can be very flattering).

  • Revisit the lighting. On Resource day a few weeks ago, I spoke about Circa Lighting, they have a huge range of fixtures that are cool, but within a good price range. If you have only a ceiling light, and no sconces, why not try adding sconces that hold real candles? It will give you a great look, without the trouble of rewiring (be sure to use dripless candles).

  • Freshen up your countertop. There is no excuse for plastic bottles all over the place. Get some pretty containers and empty your liquid soap into one, moisturiser in another etc. There is nothing worse than bathrooms that look like a cosmetics counter at a discount department store. It only take a few minutes to do this and it makes all the difference.
  • Don't underestimate the power of a plant or fresh flowers in your bathroom. They can really give a nice boost.
  • Invest in a few great towels. It always amazes how many people keep their towels till they are a threadbare mess. Replace them at least once a year. It is not a huge investment, and it makes you feel like a million dollars every time you step out of the shower.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember my parents ever getting new towels, so it comes as a bit of a surprise to consider replacing them once a year. However, I like the idea very much. My husband will too, as the rags he likes the best used to be towels. :)

Washington Cube said...

I just redid my linen closet and replaced all towels and sheets, including how I store them. I chose a range of four colors in the same line of towels, and I am rotating them. I agree. Change them every year. I want to check out your lighting company.