Houzz

Today's Ideabooks
Browse Bedroom Products on Houzz- For Example:

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Top 5 Books by Other Designers

I am a total book hound, so I spend a lot of time poring over my favorite ones. In fact I am in the process of putting together my own book, so I have been especially interested lately in books by other designers, so here is a list of some of the ones I especially love, in no special order though.




  • John Saladino: In my opinion, one of the greatest living American designers. His work has a subtlety and warmth that is totally unique, so it is no surprise that I chose his book. I am on my second copy, because the first became so dog-eared. I like the book because he has managed to show the breadth of his work in a very comprehensive way. He also take pains to explain his process, unlike some of the other books here, he does not attempt to give practical tips, but instead concentrates on more elemental issues, and how they relate to his work. I think for a designer like this, it's a good approach, since his style is less about objects and more about the feelings he is able to create. His work is beautifully illustrated with images that are big and clear, so you can really soak up his spectacular rooms.


  • Vicente Wolf: Well, to be far, Vicente has two books, both of which would have qualified to be on this list, but somehow that just didn't seem right. I have already written about this book, but it really deserves another mention. The way it was put together has really made me llok at design books in a whole new way.




  • Mariette Himes Gomez: I think this is a terrific little book. Her work is renowned for a quiet yet luxurious simplicity and she manages to capture that in this volume. It is packed with great ideas and is small enough to be a quick read, but with terrific illustrations.




  • Jeffrey Bilhuber: In a book by designers, I am always looking for an insight into how they came up with the designs that I love so much. This book does not disappoint. Bilhuber's work is known for its warm attention to detail, that he makes look effortless, so I was intrigued to see what the process was that lead to these designs.


  • Noel Jeffrey: One of the frustrating thing about design publications of all sorts is that they contain great photographs, that are just that, great photographs. Often in composing these images, furniture is moved or removed, to create an image that portrays the feeling of the room, more than its actuality. The thing i love about this book is that he includes furniture plans, so you can get a real sense of how the room is put together. It makes the book, so much richer and informational.

    1. 2 comments:

      Anonymous said...

      Thanks for the recommendations! I HAD to order at least one, so picked the first as I could tell his style is close to what I'd like mine to be. Also ordered another new book called "Rooms" that has been getting great reviews. Have you seen it?
      http://www.amazon.com/Rooms-Carl-Skoggard/dp/0847828263

      cotedetexas said...

      Saladino is probably, hands down, my favorite design book ever. I learned more from than book than I did in college. He's a genius in my opinion. I love that dining room in a NY apartment with the gorgeous tree mural - that might be a favorite ever room. Right now, I'm liking books about houses: Bunny's, Charlotte's - I love reading about the process from start to finish - down to the trashcan selection!!!