The room is is a Mediterranean house that is fairly new, but we did a lot of work on it to try and make it feel a little more time worn. The goal was not to make it feel old, I believe that doing that you end up feeling like Disneyland, what I wanted was some attention to detail, that created an old world feel.
These are some of the things that we did:
- Replaced the oak floor with a distressed Walnut floor
- replaced the baseboard with a ceramic tile border, based on a design from the 1930's
- Painted the walls a warm glowing gold
- Replaced the Fireplace with an antique
- Stencilled the beams in the ceiling
- Added more lights to the ceiling
All of this gave me a great background to work with. Then we started with the furniture:
- I built the room around this great cotton print that I found, and used on the drapery, and layered it with a split bamboo shade for texture.
- I pulled out colors from the drape and used it in solid textures around the room.
- The textures included, a rough linen, silk velvet and leather
- I also used a quirky carved wood coffee table that has a lot of detail on it, to add some interest opposite the fireplace.
- Then lastly, found an antique oriental rug to anchor the same seating group.
I think the room was a great success I hope you enjoy it.