Houzz

Today's Ideabooks
Browse Bedroom Products on Houzz- For Example:

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Displaying Family Pictures

I am all about making the interior of your home a reflection of your personal values and priorities, but this is no license for bad design. Take your family photo collection for instance. There is no reason for it to take over the house and be displayed on every surface that is available. I like to create groupings that I can use to tell a story, they can then become compelling pieces or art as well. Take the example above for instance, we created an almost Mondrian-like grid that was able to contain a host of images of different periods and sizes, but it still works well within the modern background.

Here are some other ideas that you might want to consider:
  • I like to use all one type of frame, to unify the collection, but maybe if they were all silver frames, that would be enough to pull everything together.
  • If you don't want to group them on a wall, pick one surface where you will display the pictures, try not to let them creep all over the house.
  • I like to mix in old pictures with new, it makes the groupings a bit more interesting.
  • You might want to buy frames that are designed to allow you to change the images easily, then as the kids grow and the family changes its easy to keep it updated.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love designing with family photos! Thanks for the great tips!

franki durbin said...

I know from personal experience that it is not easy to artfully arrange frames of varying sizes like this- with precisely the same space in between the frames. Very (very!) well done. And what a difference it makes. in terms of personalizing a space.

beautifully done. :)

bonnie: said...

This is exactly what I have done in my house. I call it my "clutter wall," when in actuality it's just a space I have designated for black & white family photos. I love it. (although I buy cheap-o black frames from Michael's (without a mat) and am just as pleased.

Mark Cutler said...

Thanks Franki! It was a fun project to lay out:)

Mark Cutler said...

Bonnie-Vive la Clutter Wall!

Mark Cutler said...

Sonciary-Always very happy to help! And don't forget, I am always happy to answer design questions so keep 'em coming!