There is something very special about the family meal. It's such a great opportunity to sit and discuss your day etc. So it's very important that you create a space that really encourages that, and I think that smaller spaces do that better than larger ones.
This is a room that I did that was directly off the Kitchen, and i think its a great example of how a space can really be stylish but work very practically as well.
Here are some tips:
- Using a banquette gives you a lot of seating flexibility.
- A large table no more than 60" across will allow lots of people, but still enable lots of conversation, from side to side.
- Simple color scheme is good, since there will be a lot of visual chaos.
- Good lighting is essentila, a blend of surface mounted fixtures and downlights is ideal.
- This might be a good area for the Family notice board too.