Today's entry is about how you can create a great Guest Room, quickly and easily, and perfect enough to ensure that you will be invited to be an honored guest at their home in the future.
- Create a welcome tray that is on the bed when they arrive, on it you should have some fresh fruit, a bottle or two of water, today's local paper, and a map of the area. I think its a good idea to include a local guide book too, you could even highlight attractions that you think they might enjoy.Don't forget sample sizes of common toiletries too.
- Create your own minibar somewhere in the room. This doesn't mean you should have liquor out, but maybe some snacks and drinks that they might enjoy. There is nothing worse than waking up in a strange house in the middle of the night, wanting to snack and not being sure where they keep the potato chips.
- Leave out Fresh towels either on their bed, but definitely in their room in plain sight, it takes away any confusion they might have about what to use. Also, use the best towels you have, make them feel welcome!
- Create a Guest Book in the room. In the image above the Chandelier becomes its own Guest Book, as people stay in this home they write a note and pin it to the light, makes for great reading when you are in bed! But a more conventional book is great too, it's a great record for you and helps to make your guest feel like this is effortless for you.
- Try to design your Guest Room, so that you can block out the light, your guests are probably on vacation and will appreciate the ability to sleep in.
- On the same idea..... a privacy lock on the door please!
The general idea here is make them feel at home, try and anticipate their needs so that they are rummaging around looking for things. Create a room that is simple, laid out well, and you will be a success. There is a great book on hospitality called "Simple Hospitality" by Jane Jarrell, here is the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Hospitality-Jane-Jarrell/dp/0849904846/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-6703765-5740715?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173324342&sr=1-2
Enjoy Your Guests!