Houzz

Today's Ideabooks
Browse Bedroom Products on Houzz- For Example:

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Why I am a Designer- Gary Gibson

Week 3 of the series brings another of the most known designer's in Los Angeles. He also has a store that serves sort of as a design laboratory, and is one of the highlights of the hottest design strips in L.A. Beverly Blvd. If you haven't been by recently do yourself a favor, it's like looking into the mind of a design genius.

One of the things that I am trying to do with this series is to provide insight into the minds of people who I admire as individuals as well as designers. I think to walk the tightrope of decency and still create beautiful work is not an easy task, and I am hoping to shine a light on how this is really achieved, buy highlighting the people who do it with such elan. Gary along with meeting all of these criteria, also designs furniture, has a store and is one of the most savvy business people I know, honestly he is exhausting!

So I hope you enjoy this one...


I am a designer, because I think it was meant to be!

I was fortunate to grow up in a time and environment that helped me hone my skills early on, with family, teachers, mentors. I loved to collect "stuff" from the time I could crawl.  I have fond memories of our neighborhood fun and friends, family vacations, especially the camping trips, which allowed me to be explore nature, truly our greatest inspiration as designers!!!. So all of these early experiences really had a huge impact on me artistically, and the love of all kinds of art projects and the encouragement of people, I just always was so passionate in doing this stuff. I was also very observant and loved to listen to people, I had 2 great teachers early on, Mrs.Waldo and Mrs. Crawford.  it  was Mrs. Waldo  that really got me hooked and interested in art, to the point I was always volunteering for school projects that involved any type of artistic project.  I think that was when I realized I wanted to do something in the arts.  At first I thought I wanted to be a painter. I was fortunate to be a painter for a period of time earlier in my career, but it wasn't enough to hold my interest. I met a designer early on that asked me to help her with her space she was doing for the Pasadena Showcase House, that was 100 years ago.

 That is when I realized I wanted to be a Designer, which was the best of the all arts, and enrolled in UCLA.  At that time, I did all I could to work in the design field, and was fortunate to work with some of the top designers of the day.  I also worked in all aspects of the interior design industry that I could, which included;sample clerk, draftsman, design assistant, showroom sales, etc. which to this day have proved to be invaluable.  






So after many years of working for others, I decided it was time to start my own firm! Well, now you realize this was 30 some years ago!. This was very scary! and the technology of the day was still a Portfolio(a printed book) of ones work!! did not have a web page, iphone(still don't) Internet etc. so I really had to be charming and hone my people skills. So fast forward and years later, with a stable of very loyal clients, and friends, amazing people that have worked with me over the years, has allowed me to have a successful design firm, along with our Gibson Studio Furniture line, and my personal favorite our store "Gibson" which is our design studio and interior design offices. So 35 years later I am still a designer, product designer, retailer, which all fulfill my varied interests in art and design.  After all these years, I am very fortunate to still love what I do and when people enjoy and appreciate what we do, I am very humbled and grateful for that.This is why I am a designer!!!



7350 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
P) 323-934-4248
F) 323-934-4298



No comments: