Houzz

Today's Ideabooks
Browse Bedroom Products on Houzz- For Example:

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Resource Day: A. Rudin



When I was a kid my mother used to tell me that the ability to spell is what separates us from the animals. Now that I am a bit older (and have mastered spellcheck), I beg to differ, I think it's the ability to appreciate good upholstery. There are a lot of elements that go into making that perfect piece and I find them all at A.Rudin, a national company, that is based in Los Angeles.


For further info about what to look for in upholstery, refer to my previous article "What Makes Upholstery Good?" http://markcutlerdesign.blogspot.com/2007/05/what-makes-upholstery-good.html.


But back to A. Rudin, this is a third generation company, that has a 120,000 sf factory in downtown Los Angeles. I was lucky enough to go to the factory a few months ago and it was amazing; clean, organised and it was astonishing to see the amount of product they are able to produce, at a quality that leaves most people scratching their heads.


The basics of a great piece are all addressed here, hand-tied, hand-tufted, kiln dried wood, it's even glued, doweled and screwed, these pieces are made to last. But good construction is only part of it, the designs too are classic and timeless. They have a Dining Chair (pictured above) that is a staple for me and one of the most comfortable chairs I use.


Aside from their standard designs, they will work with you on custom pieces, which is great for me as I always want to be tweaking something:).


Anyway, check out their website http://www.arudin.com/ I think you will become as great a fan as I have.





1 comment:

franki durbin said...

nice resource, Mark! I've learned to appreciate quality upholstered pieces as well. You can transform a space completely just by making the right selection with these pieces.