In today's busy world it seems like a little bit of an outdated concept, but I am seeing a rise in popularity of the vanity table. I did the one above a few years ago, but it remains one of my favorites, it has a certain glamour that I find really appealing. Here are some thoughts to consider if you are planning one:
- First thing is practicality! Make sure that there is plenty of light, if possible, some natural light but certainly lots of shadowless artificial light. You can achieve this by creating a light "triangle", light coming from above (recessed or ceiling light) and light from the side (sconces). That way you will ensure that there is even light over the face.
- Have lots of counter space. I think about 48" is a minimum, otherwise it will start feeling crowded and unpleasant.
- If at all possible a tiny sink is a great addition, just a place where you can rinse your fingers or dampen a sponge.
- Find a good, solid upright chair. A dining chair is perfect. Don't succumb to the girly upholstered thing, that will leave you sitting too low and far away from the mirror.
- Finally, lots and lots of storage. Try to keep as little as possible on the counter top, it will make it look fresher, and a more pleasant place to be. Also, lots of storage will help you keep everything well organised.